Wright throttles Johnson; scores early KO

BY: Richard QuiƱones, Journeymen Boxing

Junior Wright said prior to his fight against Rayford Johnson that he does not go looking for the knockout. Of course every boxer says that, but Wright has been making a habit of knocking guys out and Thursday night at Webster Hall in New York was no different.

Wright needed just one round of action to throttle the veteran Johnson before referee Earl Brown stepped in to halt the action as the native from Evanston, Illinois earned his 11th KO in 14 pro fights. The main event fight was scheduled for eight rounds, but Wright needed just one round to polish off Johnson, as he attacked him from the opening bell.

Wright fired off a barrage of shots along the ropes before Brown stepped in to halt the action.

“It’s just happened I wasn’t looking for it,” Wright said of his quick night of work.

Wright (13-0-1) will have quick turnaround in the ring. He is slated to fight in April at the Riverside Ballroom in Green Bay, Wisconsin. No opponent has been named for that bout. However, it appears it will be a scheduled eight-round contest.

The hard-hitting cruiserweight would love to stay active in 2015, and understands the more wins under his belt the more opportunity he will get down the line for bigger fights and paydays.

“I would like to maybe get six to twelve fights this year. In a perfect world, fight every month or every two months,” Wright said.

As for Johnson things look much different for his future. He has now dropped eight of ten, and has been suffered two straight first-round knockouts. The 34-year-old native of Longview, Texas will most certainly have to wait awhile before stepping back in the ring especially with back-to-back beatings.

Johnson fell to 10-17 in his career.

The 28-year-old Wright dedicated the bout to the two fallen NYPD officers slain last month in a tragic incident.

 

 

Posted by RQ

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *