Ferrante backs up guarantee, scores vicious knockout over Venroy July

By: Rich Quiñones (Ringside Commentator)

Anthony “Boom Boom” Ferrante had one message for his doubters and his critics Friday night moments before he stepped into the ring against Venroy “Hardwork” July in the co-main event of a stacked card at Rosecroft Raceway.

“My career is not dead, I am not retiring,” was Ferrante’s message moments before he faced July.

The talented, but maligned fighter at times, delivered that message when he backed up his KO guarantee earlier in the week, by scoring a brilliant upset win as he caught an unsuspecting July with a gorgeous straight right hand that sent the veteran crashing down onto the canvas in the second round of their slated eight-round cruiserweight affair in front of a jam-packed house at the Rosecroft Raceway in Fort Washington, Maryland.

Ferrante (14-6, 9 ko’s), who earlier in the week predicted he would knockout July was not fazed by the veteran’s punching power early on in this one.

It was evident from the opening bell, that July’s lack of power would play right into Ferrante’s hands, as the native of Philadelphia, PA, would smile and almost goat July into engaging him.

“I told you we were going to be patient and just feel him out,” he said after his career-defining win. “I knew the knockout would come, I just saw it, I knew his shots were not hurting me, I knew it was going to come. I told you. I predicted it and I knew it would happen.”

Ferrante, who was coming off two awful loses looked focused from the get go. A far cry from when he last stepped into the ring.

The 30-year-old had dropped four of his last five bouts and was coming off two grueling loses, his last one was against Pedro Martinez back in March, when Martinez pulled off the six-round upset by simply being more active then Ferrante.

The bout was ugly to watch and afterwards people wandered if something was physically wrong with Ferrante.

“My last fight was me acting totally unprofessional with stepping in the ring in the condition I was. I was hospitalized 20 days before the Anthony Caputo-Smith fight with bi-lateral pneumonia and thankfully had strong enough meds to help me fight the Caputo fight. I did not take any time off when the Pedro fight came. I went to the fight with a 103 fever from the pneumonia returning,” he would say after that defeat.”

However, Friday night was a completely different story.

Looking to be in the best shape of his career and more determined, Ferrante never let July get settled into a groove.

In the first round after July tried to pop his jab off to set the tone of the fight, Ferrante countered with some solid body shots that scored as the round came to a close.

A confident Ferrante, smiled and was firing himself up as he walked carefree back to his corner, knowing the inevitable would happen.

Ferrante looked like he was shot out of a cannon, and came right at July in the second round, staggering him with a couple of straight jabs and over powering him with a serious of damaging body shots, before finishing him off with a gorgeous straight right hand that toppled July back-first to the canvas.

The 31-year-old, tried to get to his feet, but couldn’t as the bout was waved off at 1:26.

A jubilant Ferrante jumped onto the neutral corner ropes just above the broadcast table and then celebrated in the middle of the ring with his corner.

“I knew this guy had no power, and he never felt power like I have. I told everyone I would knock this guy out and I did, it was a huge win for me, I worked hard man.”

July fell to 16-2-3 has been knocked out in two of his last six bouts, leaving many to wander if that was the last time we have seen of him in the ring.

More recap of the night’s action to follow….

 

Rich Quiñones is an award winning broadcaster and journalist. He is the lead blow-by-blow Boxing voice for GFL.tv and Go Fight Live’s Boxing on Comcast. He has sat ringside calling the action with Monte Barrett, Brian

Adams, Amir Mansour, Danny Garcia, James Kirkland, Mark Breland, Ronnie Shields, Teddy Atlas and Lou DiBella, while broadcasting over 125 bouts for GFL in 2013-2014.

Rich is also a contributor to Ringnews24.com and he has also handled calling the action for Muay Thai and is exclusive lead blow-by-blow voice for CFFC MMA.

You can follow Rich on twitter @ https://twitter.com/RichQonQ and Tumblr.com @ http://onqsports.tumblr.com as well as LinkedIn and instagram.com/richqonq. Subscribe and follow his youtube page

https://plus.google.com/u/0/106138376864900587745/posts

Posted by RQ

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *