Atlantic City’s Perez prepared for veteran Cabrera

20141018_arena_0009

Richard Quiñones (Journeymen Boxing) Atlantic City middleweight Decarlo Perez will look to make a statement Friday night when he tangles against undefeated Juan Ubaldo Cabrera at The D Hotel & Casino in Las Vegas, Nevada as part of Showtime’s Shobox telecast.

The 24-year-old Perez (14-3-1, 5ko’s) has won three straight since suffering an eight-round split-decision loss against Wilky Campfort in early January 2014. Camport clearly outworked Perez in that bout, despite it being a close contest. Perez has at times shown that he can get outworked during a fight against a lesser opponent, which was evident against Dontre King in 2011 and Marcus Willis last summer.

However, the most shocking loss of his career so far was a second-round TKO loss to two-fight pro Rafael Montalvo in 2012. In that bout, Montalvo looked like a very easy opponent on paper, as he came in with a 1-1 mark. Perez, on the other hand, entered the bout having won six of seven, but in the second round Montalvo caught Perez and knocked him down with a right upper cut, which was ruled a slip by referee Earl Morton.

Montalvo, a veteran of 150 amateur fights, chased around a stunned Perez and opened up on him in the corner, prompting Morton to jump in and halt the action.

“I went and saw the tape, and just went wow, it was a great shot,” said Perez Wednesday on 97.3 ESPN FM Radio’s “The Warm.

“It was a big eye opener, when you are a young fighter and that happens, I had a good winning streak and that happens, but like you said sometimes that is good. I have not had a padded record or career. I was questioning myself, but some fighters do not go through that their whole career and they do not know how to bounce back from that,” he said.

Perez, though, looked sharp his last time in the ring when he dominated a shorter Jessie Nicklow, who absorbed a ton of punches throughout the night. Despite the fact that Nicklow did not go away, Perez kept pounded away at him because he tried to fight his way inside and paid the price.

The 36-year-old Cabrera (23-0, 15 ko’s) is the top-ranked middleweight in the D.R., but has fought soft competition. Most of his fights were against opponents with lop-sided records. However, he will have a slight height and reach advantage against Perez, who likes to try to get inside and fight in the pocket.

“He (Cabrera) is going to come in and try to coast, he is not big on power or big punching, or fast feet, but he wants to stay in the fight, and that is what we are hearing,” said Perez.

If Cabrera can establish his jab from the start he might be able to frustrate Perez, who will be looking to make a statement early in this fight.

“We always go in prepared and we are prepared for whatever will happen,” he concluded.

The main event will pit Derric Rossy (30-9, 14ko’s), who has dropped two out of his last four, will meet undefeated heavyweight Trevor Bryan over 10 rounds.

Philly’s Joey Dawejko (15-4-2, 8ko’s) will meet hard-hitting Natu Visinia (11-1, 9ko’s) over eight rounds.

Undefeated heavyweight Dorsett Barnwell (12-0, 5ko’s) battles Avery Gibson (5-5-3, 2ko’s) in an eight-round contest, while Chesney Griffith debuts against Miguel Angel Tavera (2-1, 1ko) over four rounds.

Akhror Muralimov (16-1, 13ko’s) will take on an opponent to be named over eight rounds in a heavyweight clash.

 

Posted by RQ

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *