Anthony Dirrell destroys Truax; AC native Young rebounds with win

Anthony Dirrell knocks down Caleb Truax (Dave Nadkarni/Premier Boxing Champions)
Anthony Dirrell (L) knocks down Caleb Truax on April 29, 2016, in Atlantic City. Photo by Dave Nadkarni/Premier Boxing Champion(R)

Richard Quiñones (Journeymen Boxing) Ringside – Former WBC super middleweight champion Anthony Dirrell did not waste anytime making a statement as he destroyed former world title challenger Caleb Truax, stopping him in the first round of their slated 10-round affair Friday night as PBC on Spike visited the Trump Taj Mahal, in Atlantic City, New Jersey.

Dirrell (29-1-1, 23ko’s) overwhelmed Truax from the opening and after both figthers exchanged jabs in the stanza, Dirrell landed a huge right hand to the head of the 32-year-old Truax, which rocked him.

Dirrell did not let off the gas pedal, as he landed a couple of more nice right hands that floored Truax, who was able to get back to his feet, but was obviously hurt. It appeared that he might have suffered an injury as he kept opening and closing his mouth moments after he got back on his feet.

Seconds later, Dirrell landed a big left hook to the head of Truax that sent him crashing to the canvas when referee Harvey Dock had seen enough, as he halted the fight.

“After the first knockdown, I knew that he was in bad shape. I wanted to make sure that he would get himself back together,” said Dock who past by press row. “But after the second knockdown, I thought he had had enough and that it was the right time to stop it.”

As for Dirrell the victory was sweet and showed he is still in the mix at at 168.

“I showed, tonight, that I worked hard in the gym and it paid off. If I work like I did leading up to this fight, I know that nobody can beat me,” Dirrell said. “What helped me tonight was landing my shots early. I was right on top of him with combinations and controlling my jab, and that set the tone.”

Truax (26-3-2, 16ko’s) has dropped two of his last three.

As for super middleweight contender Andre Dirrell (25-2, 16ko’s) — he had to put in much more time — to defeat a game Blake Caparello by an unanimous decision. The judges saw it 98-91 in their 10-round main event. JMB scored it 97-92 in favor of Dirrell.

Caparello quickly shocked Dirrell in the second round as his left hand knocked his opponent to the canvas.

The knockdown I got in the second round felt good,” Caparello said (22-2-1, 6 KOs) afterwards.“I knew I had him hurt, but I wasn’t able to capitalize on it”

Andre Dirrell (R) got up from a second-round knockdown to soundly defeat Blake Caparello on April 29, 2016, in Atlantic City. Photo by Dave Nadkarni/Premier Boxing Champion
Andre Dirrell (R) got up from a second-round knockdown to soundly defeat Blake Caparello on April 29, 2016, in Atlantic City. Photo by Dave Nadkarni/Premier Boxing Champion

He was right, as he let Dirrell off the hook in round three, as Dirrell settled in and took control of the fight there after.

Dirrell, who lost a decision to James DeGale in a fight for the vacant IBF title last year, believed his focus was the difference in this fight.

“My focus, determination and my drive got me the win tonight. I know I’ve got more work to do, but I never stopped grinding in there tonight.”

Caparello, who fell to 22-2-1, continued to work and battle, but it was clear he was climbing an uphill batter as Dirrell completly change the tide of the fight after th early knockdown, as he found his groove with body shots. <

“I wanted to send the boxing world and this whole division a message. I’m coming for anyone with a belt. I’ll take on anyone who’s a champion. I know I’ll be a world champion. I have to be a champion. I don’t slow down for anyone. I’m going to keep pushing to get where I’m going,” Dirrell added.

In other action, rising undefeated KO artist Jonathan Guzman (21-0, 21 KOs) continued his dominance in the ring as he looked impressive in his 12-round super bantamweight title eliminator against Daniel Rosas (20-3, 12 KOs), who couldn’t answer the bell for the eighth round.

“I used a lot of concentration early and let him make errors so I could see what he was planning to do. Once I saw the mistakes he was making I let my hands go,” Guzman said after (courtesy of PBC).

Rosas was stunned in the third round, but Guzman was unable to put away his opponent. In the fifth round, Guzman landed a left that knocked Rosas back and followed it with another, dropping Rosas just before the bell.

“I wanted to let him throw some punches early. It helped me gain confidence and learn his tendencies,” said Guzman. “I saw him dropping that right hand, and I knew it would open up the opportunity for me to land my left.”

Atlantic City native Anthony “Juice” Young” looked solid against a tough and gritty Juan Rodriguez in his six-round unanimous decision welterweight affair.

Young (12-2, 5ko’s) knocked down Rodriguez (6-5-1, 5ko’s) early on in the second round en route to the easy win, but thinks he let his opponent off the hook.

“He had me against the ropes, and I was staying tight and he was throwing a bunch of wild shots, and I knew if I timed it perfect I would catch him with the hook,” Young said afterwards.

The 28-year-old rebounded nicely from his time out, but might be dealing with a slight injury.

“That same punch I put him down with, I hurt my thumb, I can not make a fist, that is why I was hesitate to throw the same punch,” he concluded.

Posted by RQ

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *